Sunday, June 30, 2013

Weekend Links

  • Aligning CEO pay with long term innovation performance.  This piece resonated with me, as I found innovation systematically undervalued in the corporate world, as a result of the focus on near term results.  (But then, as an inventor myself, perhaps it's not surprising that I would think that).
  • Is Miami doomed?
  • US is engaged in major spying against the EU and many of the European countries including France and Italy.  I'm sure that's going to go over really great in Europe...  Maybe Snowden can get asylum in France by the time the dust settles?  I think US moral standing in the world will take a permanent hit from all these revelations.  Not a fatal one of course, but a material one.  I don't blame Snowden at all, but rather the successive US administrations that decided to engage in all these behaviors in secret.  The truth was bound to come out eventually.
  • Morsi government in Egypt threatened?
Finally, a note that the demise of Google Reader is upon us.  I switched to Vienna some time back.  It's fine.

3 comments:

Michael Cain said...

...I found innovation systematically undervalued in the corporate world, as a result of the focus on near term results.

In the 90s, larger companies in particular developed the habit of "outsourcing" R&D: let start-ups try a half-dozen different approaches (on the cheap), then buy the one that looks like the best bet. So many ways this can go wrong. Buy the wrong company. Pay way too much for the tech. Let the tech staff who really believes in the approach go, or even shove them out. Try to force a round tech peg into a square business-model hole. All practices pretty much guaranteed to push innovators out of your line of business...

Chris Reynolds said...

There are those of us here in the UK who are incandescently furious about the de-facto totalitarian police state our governments have set up.

When a democracy subjects it's populace to mass surveillance, it is not a democracy.

Stuart Staniford said...

Chris:

Yes, I read your post at http://dosbat.blogspot.com/2013/07/totalitarian-police-state.html

I have had similar thoughts/feelings about the risks of making publicly clear my disgust/outrage about what's been going on. I came to similar conclusions to you; once we start giving in to those feelings, the police state has really come.